42nd District Court (Division I / Romeo) - General Civil Cases
GENERAL CIVIL CASES
Requirements to file a civil lawsuit are the cause of action must occurs in or the defendant must live within the 42-1 District Jurisdiction (Armada Township, Bruce Township, Ray Township, Richmond Township, Washington Township, Village of Armada, Village of Romeo, Memphis (south of Boardman Rd) or Richmond), and the following:
- A person must have a direct interest in the suit.
- The claim may not exceed $25,000.00.
- A summons and complaint must be filed with the court.
- Proof of claim is required at time of filing.
- At the time of filing an attorney may not be involved.
The court officer or process server of plaintiff's attorney is required to serve the summons and complaint. Contact the court for the service fees. The defendant has from 21 to 28 days to file answer the complaint writing. The amount of time is designated by the method of service. The court officer or process server of plaintiff's attorney is required to serve the summons and complaint.
- $35 filing fee for claims up to $600
- $55 filing fee or claims...$601 - $1,750
- $75 filing fee for claims...$1,751 - $10,000
- $160 filing fee for claims...$10,001 - $25,000
*These filing fees do not include process server fees or motion fee on all civil cases $20.00
After defendant files an answer, a pretrial will be set. At the pretrial the judge will make a decision or a trial date will be given.
If the defendant does not file an answer (respond), a default judgment is entered for the plaintiff.
Please follow this link for a press release regarding this new online dispute resolution service.